Hospital de Maudes
Its full title is Hospital de Jornaleros de San Francisco de Paula, a precinct of buildings designed by the same architects responsible for the Palacio Cibeles, Palacios and Otamendi, to which is shares certain formal similarities. Completed in 1916 the design of this hospital catering to the working class was forward thinking for its time. Maximum natural light and ventilation were provided to the wards, circulation areas were kept to a minimum based on the adoption of the panopticon layout (more commonly used for prisons) and nature was considered an integral part of the recuperation process. The institution ceased use as a hospital in 1970 and was subsequently taken over by the Community of Madrid.