Fundació Francisco Giner de los Ríos

Architecture

Fundació Francisco Giner de los Ríos

The Free Educational Institution was founded in the 19th Century by a group of university professors under Francisco Giner de los Ríos (1839 – 1915), philosopher, educator and intellectual as a constantly evolving laboratory for new teaching methods, underpinned by a belief that society can be reformed through education. The built project was completely refurbished in 2014 by Cero9 Architects with the focus on the garden spaces that occupy the voids between the buildings. This idea reflects Francisco Giner de los Ríos’ belief that landscape was “an educational resource as well as one of the main products of culture.” These green spaces transform over the course of the year with the changing seasons, the building facades are considered an extension of the garden.

Photo: José Hevia

where

contact


Paseo General Martínez Campos 14, Madrid

See map